Sunday, July 13, 2008

dhaudi tales (dhaudi is tamizh for beard)

To all those guys out there..
How many times have you been dragged into a jewel shop or worse still a cloth shop by your mum or you better half or whatever and did not know how to kill those million hours when your women folk forget you exist and fall in love with those saris and those many named jewels?
Well as a kid I went around playing or chatting with the watchman but a couple of days back I guessed it would look to awkward for a guy 6 feet to inches to jog around playing catch-catch.
I sat down with dad and granddad and we spoke about this and that and the unfortunate species that is men.
This was a discussion between three generations mind you and yes there was a rich exchange of ideas. I ve always silently observed this phenomenon of trends repeating and a perfect example of it was that my grand dad and me never had a mustache..ma granddad because Brahmans should never have one and me because I thought it was cool. My dad being the slow learner that he is (CA 1st attempt 16th rank) realised this only about a week back.
Someway, the convo lead to shaving and my dad made an interesting observation. Now its a common knowledge among men-folk that the skin becomes rougher and rougher because of shaving, and CA asked me why his skin between the lips and the nose (yea you guessed it where the mustache once was) was rougher than the rest of his face. After all he had shaved it once in his life.
The experienced moustache shavers grandpa and me explained to him that the mush part of the face is a lot more hyper and grows hair a lot faster and so is inherently rougher.
We went on to discuss how its a pain to shave the mush stub as there are many a purturbations in this part which deter efficient shaving and also discussed various methods.
It was such a surprize to realise there was so much to shaving which men had not come forward to discuss, you see men seldom discuss their problems in the open and hence seem like they dont have problems at all.
Slowly some more jobless dads sons and grandpas joined our group
1)they were jobless
2)this was an interesting topic
and I was quick to point out how there was so much to discuss about beards.
In fact we soon found out how the beard made each one of us remember some particular occasion in life..ranging from a failed love affair or a particular bad shaving day or even something like....
read on ;)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

nice way to utilize ur time...i mean discussing how to shave !!!

Avi C said...

please elaborate on the enlightening conversation that you had.

And I agree; there is a lot more to shaving than meets the eye.

It's the only time we males make for ourselves

Lavanya said...

great beginning! more, more!