Friday, June 13, 2008

the autorikshaw angels of mumbai

For the chennaites: The following events are true however unbelievable they may sound.
Night 11pm heavy rains and we had to get back to our hostel, a distance of about 700-800 metres.
The rains in mumbai can have a big impact on ur head and till you get used to it you will just go nuts and not know what to do. 3 classmates of mine and me decided to take an auto.
Born and brought up in Chennai I knew I would be paying about a 100 bucks. anyway 25 bucks per person sounded fine.
We called an auto, he immediately asked us to board, and turned the meter on. I wouldnt take something as atrocious as that, and I told him in my broken hindi that I did not trust people who use meters as they are all heated up(sooduvechufied) and usually show the price of the autorikshaw. He assured me nothing of that sort was going to happen.
5 minutes later, after an eventless journey he asked me NINE rupees. I was sure that either "now" in hindi no longer meant nine or he was referring to ninety.
My friend handed a ten rupee note and that bugger hands 1 rupee back.

Dont autorikshaws in mumbai charge triple because they carry four people?
What about the heavy rains?
And comon the petrol prices have been hiked.
They might not get a passenger at my destination so i have to pay for return fare also?
Oh and what about the one-way lanes in the middle?
What about rounding off the one rupee? or even a 10 rupees above the meter?
In a daze i walked back to my room as a lot of things crossed my mind.

1)in chennai we are being HARASSED by autos very very unfairly
2)Their point that the cant afford it is utter nonsense. They charge exponential fares.
3)ITs high time we did something together, started calling 100 everytime we face this bullshit.

Please do tell me your views its not often that i write sense ;)

3 comments:

asun ran said...

OMG i dint expect the fare to be 9.. y don v strt this in chn.. we get into the auto without dealin the price.. n on gettin down we fight with the tariff in our hand.. v need to record where v board and then we can fite fr justice.. these ppl need to be taught lessons!

Unknown said...

I have had a very similar experience in bombay,I can totally relate to it.Its only at such times we realise we in chennai are being harassed by auto drivers.Something really needs to be done.

Anonymous said...

trust me i know exactly what u re talking about. i live in pune and the auto men actually treat u with respect. that from one of them... rare..